The Top 10 Pickleball Mistakes made by Beginners
Below are the top 10 mistakes we see beginner pickleball players making. Focus on eliminating these from your game and you'll be a much more effective pickleball player!
- Miss/fault on your serve - you can't win the point if you can't get the ball into play!
- Miss your return of your opponent's serve - instead, make a high percentage return versus going for a 'hero shot'!
- Not letting your opponents out shots go out. Ensure you have court awareness so you don't hit a shot that is going out!
- When faced with a difficult shot from your opponent, try to be too precise with the return. Better to hit a high percentage shot and make the return. Being defensive is okay!
- When playing doubles, take the shot on your backhand instead of deferring to your partner and his/her stronger forehand shot
- Lose your focus and become angry at your partner. A (pickleball) house divided cannot stand!
- Do not focus on keeping the ball at your opponents feet as much as possible.
- Poor court positioning and awareness - do not play up to the no volley zone line.
- Focus on power at the expense of placement. A shot with normal pace that is well placed can be more effective than going for power!
- Going for the hero shots down the lines instead of simply hitting down the middle of the court between your opponents.